Monday, February 12, 2007

Preaching Re-Imagined::section3:chapter 1

Section 3 is titled "A Move to Something New." This section starts what might be considered the "actual book." While it seems as though Doug uses the first two sections as an introduction--to prepare his audience for the "application" of his message--I wasn't surprised when this didn't necessarily prove true. Remember, Doug is trying to present his book as a conversation in the best way he can. The last two sections are filled with short chapters that seem to ask for participation. So here I go, attempting a form of conversation.

Chapter 1: Speaching vs. Preaching

I assume that one of the expectations for this book might be the hope of being told the "right way" to preach, or perhaps not the "right way," but the "new, hip way." At times I find myself looking for those new methods to doing things, but Doug points out that he isn't really suggesting a new method. He writes:
But to me there is no way to separate the method from the message. As I will argue throughout the book, the way we "speech" creates a certain understanding of GOD, faith, life, authority, and power that is detrimental to the message we are attempting to live and communicate as pastors.

I think that this statement proves why some people, regardless of method, fall into the same ruts. I wonder, though, if Doug's statement isn't backwards? I think that our understanding of GOD shapes the way we create "speeches." A.W. Tozer wrote that our view of GOD is the most important thing about us. Our view of GOD shapes every aspect of our life. If this is true then our view of GOD would certainly impact the way we preach about GOD. Doug wrote: "My contention is that this way of preaching hurts our communities." I wonder if some of this has to do with the struggle for some churches to create community? I wonder if the relationship between the pastor and the congregation is because of the pastors approach to preaching.




I've realized that even in the short time that I've been preaching, my approach to creating a message is shaped by my understanding and relationship with GOD. I have a feeling that this is something that will continue for years to come.

2 comments:

The Horns and the Hawk said...

i wonder how many of us have subconsciously known, or suspected this: I think that this statement proves why some people, regardless of method, fall into the same ruts. it's part of the reason i left the churches i was attending. i also wonder how many people would not attend a church because of the way we've been trained to recognize truth: a well dressed man delivering a well worded speech about something holy or "holy."

stephen said...

I understand some of it. Our speeches are one of the few measurable ways a pastor can be evaluated. I don't necessarily agree with this, but I think that it's a subconscious thought pattern.

"If I make people feel good about themselves by what I say, they'll like me better. I might need to 'bring the heat' a few times, but not too often I don't want to make anyone feel really bad."

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.