Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent. Ashes are placed on our foreheads while being reminded to turn away from sin and to be faithful to the gospel. The ashes that are used are taken from the ashes of the burned palm branches that were used in last years Palm Sunday service. This is a beautiful picture of redemption for these symbols of Lent. The Palm leaves that are used to rejoice in Jesus' triumphal entry are also used as a reminder of our sin.

There are three pillars of the Lenten season. Those are Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving.

Prayer: There are numerous resources to aid you with prayers through the season of lent. I will probably use several different one to help give me a broader perspective of what Lent means. I think I'd like to use this time to seek GOD's direction for where Satellite is going.

Fasting: I originally thought that I would give up caffeine for Lent, but I'm having second thoughts. Not because I want caffeine, but because I think GOD has something different for me to fast from. For now, I'm going to give up caffeine, but I'm not going to be surprised if that changes.

Almsgiving: I have been praying that GOD will offer opportunities for Lauren and I to give to those in need who live around us. There have already been opportunities for me to give to those in need, and I expect that this Lenten season will offer other opportunities.

And now a pray for the day:
Almighty and everlasting God, you despise nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent.
Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our brokenness, may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.