Friday, February 16, 2007

2 thoughts for today

As I was studying for this weeks message I came upon some type of epiphany. I was look for verses that reference the "consolation of Israel," which is a name for the Messiah. It is found in Isaiah 12:1, 49:13. The "consolation of Israel" describes the Messiah as the comforter. In Isaiah 12 the prophet writes:
In that day you will say: "I will praise you, O LORD. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me."

And in Isaiah 49 it is written:
Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

OK, now my mind is running away. I've got two thoughts now.
  1. I've grown up with a incomplete understanding of how the the books within the Bible intertwine. As I was reading these verses from Isaiah I was reminded that Isaiah was a prophet during the reign of Hezekiah. And then it hit me. The books of the prophets aren't random books written independently from other books. I realize that this might not be a great revelation to anyone else. I kind of knew that this was true but when I thought of it today it made a lot of sense. To add onto of this revelation the prophets, whose lives were intertwined with the rest of Israel's history continued to offer pictures of the Messiah which was to come. All of the prophets spoke about the Messiah. All the prophets eluded to a time when everything would be made right, and in this case, eluded to a time when GOD would comfort his people.
  2. A characteristic of the Messiah was the "comforter" or one who offers the "consolation of Israel." Jesus fulfills the multitude of messianic prophecies including being the "consolation of Israel." The Greek word for 'comforter' is the transliterated word 'parakletos.' This word is used exclusively by the Apostle John, and is found in his gospel account of Jesus and in the first letter we have recorded. In the first of John's letters he calls Jesus the parakletos as a fulfillment of the prophecy.
    "My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate [parakletos] with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He is the expiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. And by this we may be sure that we know Him, if we keep His Commandments. He who says "I know Him" but disobeys His Commandments is a liar, and the Truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His Word, in him truly love for God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in Him: he who says He abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which He walked." (1 John 2:1-6 RSV)
    In this letter, the word parakletos is most often translated as "advocate," but it is also referred to as "the one who speaks" or "one who pleads." This is the only time that parakletos is translated as advocate. In John's gospel account parakletos is translated as comforter. While in John's letter parakletos is in reference to Jesus, parakletos, in his account of the Gospel, refers to the Holy Spirit.
    Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter[parakletos], that he may abide with you for ever;
    Joh 14:26 But the Comforter[parakletos], which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
    Joh 15:26 But when the Comforter[parakletos] is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
    Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter[parakletos] will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
    The same word that is in reference to the Messiah is used for both Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Does this mean that the Messiah is still with us? In John 14:16 we read the words of Jesus and he says that he "will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever." (NIV; emphasis is mine) If this word parakletos refers to the Messiah, then are these words of Jesus suggesting that the Messiah is with us forever? If this is true, what affect should this have on our understanding of salvation and atonement? This leads me to understand that our salvation isn't just future experience, but it is living inside of us through the presence of the Holy Spirit. This makes sense to me. I understand that we look toward the day when Christ will return for the completion of his Kingdom, but I've always felt as if salvation meant more than that. As we read the Jewish history throughout the pages of the Old Testament and Apocrypha or inter-testament period, we read about the Jewish people crying out for salvation from their present time, but also crying out for a salvation in the future. Is it possible, then that GOD, in his great mercy would send a Messiah for both our present times and also the future?

I never expected to write this much on this.
The thought hit me and I guess I've run with it.
This leave me much to think about-in a really good way.
I would love to hear what you think, even if it's an incomplete thought.

2 comments:

The Horns and the Hawk said...

my new testament teacher said that it appeared to her as if the jews cried out for more than one savior. i don't know what to think of that.

you know what blows my mind? the fact that bible also relates to real history. i've had this sort of feeling or impression that the bible was somehow separate from the rest of linear time, but nay. in fact, guess the name of the persian king that attacks athens first? darius. guess the name of the king that leads the charge ten years later and has the infamous encounter with the 300 spartans? xerxes. i would guess that these are in fact the very same darius and xerxes that daniel served. i mean, the succession's right, the names are right, the region's mostly right. how wild is that? i don't even know how to comprehend that.

The Horns and the Hawk said...

so, i'll be honest. i didn't read the entirety of your blog yesterday as i was sort of rushing. rush a-go-go. after i talked with you briefly about it at spudnutz, i decided to read the whole thing.

mike no longer believes Jesus is God. this is something that he's wrestled with for the better part of a year. he's talked with me about it quite a bit as he's fought through it. his belief is that Jesus is a man, just as we are, but he was filled with the Spirit of God. he was literally the second adam, and where adam failed, Jesus succeeded. he's very adamant to say that he holds Jesus in the highest of regards and does not dilute his status at all, but rather, elevates our status. you might have to talk to him directly to get a "not messed up" version of what mike says. i have to say, though, that it's very convincing. i myself am just very apprehensive to fully invest in it. but, with this thought of yours, it almost seems to lend credibility to mike's argument. let me expand on that.

Jesus came to die so that man would no longer be separated from the Father. the new temple is in the hearts of men, not in tents or tabernacles. God permitted a man be born of a virgin, God commanded a man be born of a virgin, so that he would be untouched by the curse of sin as adam was so that when temptation came, he had the full range of his reasoning capabilities, as adam did. mike goes on to elaborate that Christ is the "first among many brethren," a "co-heir to the kingdom." nevertheless he is the "king of kings" and the "name above all names." still, "unless a seed goes into the ground and dies, it remains alone." Jesus' death allowed the very Spirit of God, the Spirit Christ himself was infused with, to come live in the new tabernacle: us. a savior is useless unless he saves his people from their sins.

i don't know if that helps or hurts, but it does have uncanny coherence with mike's crazy pseudo-blasphemous thought. i think i'll have to tell mike about this see what he thinks. i'm still a bit timid to commit to either one, really, though both make a ton of sense and "feel right." that's probably why i'm apprehensive. it "feels right" and i'm not being told "it's right."

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.