Tuesday, October 31, 2006

GOD's covenant and circumcision. (part 1)

circumcision.
here i go.


let's start in Genesis 12. GOD calls Abram to leave all he knows. the LORD said to Abram:
"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you;
I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse,
and all the peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

so Abram goes.

Genesis 15. GOD reminds Abram that he is with him. Abram is confused because he doesn't have any kids, and he cant understand how he is going to be made "into a great nation." GOD tells Abram that he will provide a son for him, a son from his own body.

Genesis 17. GOD goes to Abram and says:
"I am GOD Almighty, walk before me and be blameless.
I will confirm my covenant between me
and you and will greatly increase your numbers."
Abram is 99 now. At this point GOD changes Abram's name to Abraham. (there are many cool things going on with GOD changing Abram's name, but now isn't the time to discuss them.) GOD then tells Abraham that he is going to confirm the covenant with circumcision. Circumcision become the sign of the covenant (but it is not the covenant). GOD tells Abraham that he must be circumcised and for the generations that follow every male must be circumcised whether they are born in his household or a foreigner.

I thought I would offer a definition of circumcision for the sake any confusion. This comes from dictionary.com.

cir‧cum‧cise[sur-kuhm-sahyz]
–verb (used with object), -cised, -cis‧ing.
1.to remove the prepuce of (a male), esp. as a religious rite.
2.to remove the clitoris, prepuce, or labia of (a female).
3.to purify spiritually.

If you want some more info, check this page.

Now that that's out of the way we can get down to business.
However, I'm about to get kicked out of Kind Coffee.
So I guess you'll have to stay tuned.
Good night.

2 comments:

alicia said...

that link took me to a page with penises (plural of penis is what??) on it...that's not okay Steve....

bad steve...

stephen said...

sorry for the shock(?)but the topic is circumcision. i figured people would have an idea of where the link is going.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.